Let’s begin by dumping the stereotype that ‘electronic bedmates’ are designed only for those lonely souls for whom self-pleasuring is the only way to attain an orgasm. The right sex toys can work wonders for intimacy in any relationship. When working with your genitals, mouth and fingers becomes all too predictable and routine, bring in a little play buddy into the equation to experience new heights of toe-curling excitement.
A vibrator is a blanket term used to describe sex toys that create stimulation in erogenous (or sensitive) areas like clitoris, vagina, vulva, penis, testicles or anus. This was the first type of sex toy ever made, and their origins can be traced back to the 18th century!
As they say, you can never go wrong with a classic. So, if you’re considering putting together an assortment of sex toys, do consider these vibrators variants:
- Rabbit vibrator: This vibrator is a double-duty device designed to please both partners, particularly for heterosexual couples. The rabbit-ear like portion is meant to stimulate the clitoris. At the same time, there is a vibrating penis ring for the enhanced pleasure of the man.
- Slip-in vibrator: This tiny little vibrator can be inserted inside the vagina and worn for long periods at a stretch. It is controlled by a handheld remote. It’s ideal for couples who want to take that naughty vibe outside the bedroom. Sliding it in and letting your partner handle the controls or vice-versa is sure to lead to some mind-blowing sex afterwards.
- Point vibrators: These tiny vibrators come with a pointed tip that can be used for direct stimulation wherever you please. Unlike most sex toys, their use is not limited to the genitals. From nipples to thighs, neck and belly – you can use it to pleasure each other wherever it works best!
Also known as cock rings, these are meant to be worn around the penis but can heighten the pleasure for both partners. The rings primarily make erections bigger and help them last longer by restricting blood flow to the penis shaft.
Here are some of the best penis rings you can try:
- Vibrator rings: Different models come with different vibrating settings that add extra pleasure to the act for both partners. For heterosexual couples, the outer portion of the ring also serves as a clit tickler, increasing orgasms for the female partners manifold.
- Silicon rings: These are penis rings in their most basic form. Just a soft silicon ring to be worn around the penis, ideally before it’s erect. The texture and elasticity make them perfect for beginners.
- Bolo-tie rings: This type of penis rings have a bolo-tie-style design and a sliding button to facilitate a perfect fit. These can be worn even with a full erection and removed at any time.
Butt plugs are anal toys used to create a rectal stimulation. In men, these stimulate the prostate and, in women, they make vaginal intercourse a whole lot more pleasurable. Whether you’re still testing the waters vis-à-vis anal play or a pro at it, you need to have these joy riders in your kitty.
Some top butt plug designs to choose from:
- Classic plugs: These are shaped a lot like dildos but shorter. Classic butt plugs have a clean design with a smooth surface and can be anywhere between 3 to 5 inches long. Best suited for first-time users.
- Expanding plugs: Expanding butt plugs look markedly different from classic ones. These are soft, flexible in texture and shaped like a flower. You can pinch the petal-like structures together to hold them like a bulb, which opens up inside the rectum. They offer much-heightened pleasure.
- Inflatable plugs: As the name suggests, these can be inflated after being inserted inside the anus. These are perfect for people who enjoy big plugs but struggle with insertion. When not inflated, these are quite small in size and can be blown up to the users’ liking.
Urethral sounds/Urethral playing
Urethral Sounds are among most popular among sex toys for both men and women available today. Made of stainless steel, titanium, silicon or plastic, these are fine rods that can be slid inside the urethra for enhanced pleasure by making the penis or vulva sensitive to the slightest touch. These sex toys (urethral sounds/urethral playing) get their name and inspiration from the medical procedure of inserting cathetars or probes inside the urethra for clearing obstructions.
These are available in the following variants:
- Hank sounds: These double-ended sounds are designed with bumps to help users figure out exactly how far to insert. Hank sounds are also sized differently at both ends, giving you the option to choose the thickness of the insertion. Ideal for beginners.
- Hegar sounds: Also a double-ended sound, but what sets them apart is their S-shaped curve that facilitates easy insertion.
- Pratt sounds: These are longer and with a more pronounced curve. Better suited for people with some decent experience in using urethral sounds.
Urethral sounds are perhaps the trickiest of sex toy and using them requires some practice and precision. You risk sustaining an injury if you insert a sounder roughly or use one that’s too big.
Here are a few precautions to keep in mind:
- Sterilise your toy before and after use every time.
- Do not share urethral sounds with your partner to eliminate the risk of STIs.
- Use a water-based lube before insertion to avoid pain or injury. Apply it generously either on the tip of the urethra or the sounder.
- Pick a comfortable position for the insertion and do it slowly.
- It is recommended that women spread out their labia when inserting a sounder for easier access. Meanwhile, men should insert it in when their penis is half-erect, for reduced friction.
- In case you’re unable to remove the sounder easily, try massaging the skin around your urethra, apply more lube or sit in warm water to relax the muscles. If nothing works, seek medical help at the earliest.
- Bear in mind that the sensitivity brought on by sounders may lead to some pain. You may also experience burning sensation while peeing after removing the device. However, these effects are temporary and will subside shortly after.
Now that you know which sex toys can spice up things between you and your significant other, make sure you buy ones made from high-quality materials, use lube wherever necessary and practice hygiene afterwards. Knowing the dos and don’ts of using sex toys is as important as picking the right ones.