You’ve no way of knowing that someone you’ve met on MSN or a social networking site is really the person they say they are. For example, someone who pretends to be a teenage girl online could in reality be an adult man.
So if you arrange to meet someone whom you’ve got to know on the internet, you’re taking a risk.
If you’re really planning to find a date on the internet, it’s safest to use a paid internet dating site – the people you come across are probably more likely to be serious and genuine.
If you decide to go ahead and meet someone you’ve got to know online:
- Never go alone when you meet someone for the first time. Always go with a friend. He or she can always leave you if you want.
- Take a mobile phone with you. Then you can send a text message to your friends or parents if your date goes wrong.
- Arrange to meet in a public place with a lot of people around.
- Arrange with someone to call you during your date. If you’re not happy, you can always say you’ve been called away urgently.
- Don’t promise anything until you’ve met in person. For example, don’t agree beforehand that you’re going to kiss someone.